[ovs-announce] Please join the Open vSwitch Virtual Hackathon Sep. 6 and 7

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Aug 5 16:43:35 PDT 2013

Open vSwitch Virtual Hackathon, Sep. 6-7, 2013

What?
-----

Our goal is to spend two days working hard to complete and polish Open
vSwitch support for OpenFlow 1.1 and later.  Open vSwitch already has
significant support for these later protocols, but there is also a lot
of work left to do.  We think that a small group of coders could
accomplish a lot of that in a short period of time.

The file OPENFLOW-1.1+ at the top of the Open vSwitch source tree
contains a to-do list for Open vSwitch support for OpenFlow 1.1 and
later.  It is probably incomplete; if you know of an omission, please
bring it to our attention.

Who?
----

Everyone is welcome to participate.  If you are planning to work on a
particular aspect of OpenFlow 1.1+ support, please let everyone know
by emailing ovs-dev (see below).  That way we can avoid duplicated
effort.  You are also welcome to participate if you do not know what
you want to work on.  Let the mailing list know that, too, so that we
can suggest work to do.

How?
----

The Open vSwitch tree has files named CodingStyle and
SubmittingPatches at its top level.  These are your references for how
Open vSwitch code is expected to be written and submitted.  During the
hackathon, the reviewers will attempt to keep up with OpenFlow 1.1+
related patches in close to real time.

The patchwork site at http://patchwork.openvswitch.org/ helps track
the progress of outstanding patches through the review process.

The main point of coordination is ovs-dev, the Open vSwitch
development list, at dev at openvswitch.org.  If you are not already
subscribed to ovs-dev, then it is a good idea to do so before joining
the hackathon.

A good real-time communication resource is the #openvswitch channel on
irc.freenode.net.  During the hackathon, we can use that channel to
coordinate work and code reviews.

It could be useful to set up audio or video chat at some point during
the hackathon.  If so, we will arrange it at the time, perhaps using
Webex or Google Hangouts.

When?
-----

The hackathon will take place September 6 and 7, 2013 (a Friday and
Saturday).  Participants are welcome to submit patches anytime during
those days.  One cannot expect any individual participant (including
the reviewers) to spend all 48 hours hacking, so please choose your
own hours.

Where?
------

Wherever you happen to be.  (The dates for the virtual hackathon
coincide with an in-person hackathon at VMware in Palo Alto, but only
VMware employees can attend in person.)

Are there prizes?
-----------------

Yes, there are prizes.  If you submit a patch to improve support for
OpenFlow 1.1 or later between August 1 and September 7, and you're
local to the Bay Area or plan to visit, I'll buy you a beer.  And
whether you're local or not, I'll send you an "I <3 OVS" sticker in
the mail[*].

(It's not really about the prizes.)

   [*] Assuming someone creates a halfway decent design for such a
       sticker on some online site where I can order a batch of them.
       Such a design would also be a helpful contribution, so if you
       do the design for me I'll make sure you get a sticker.