[ovs-dev] OvS on OpenVZ

Eric Murray emurray.uml at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:48:06 PST 2010

Hi,
I'm experimenting with OpenvSwitch on OpenVZ. The OpenvSwitch homepage does
not state whether or not OpenVZ is supported, but I figured I might as well
ask and gain some perspective.

I've noticed the bridge compatibility functionality does not work on OpenVZ,
and also that the following error message occurs when an interface is added
or removed from a datapath:

Feb 02 16:23:40|00001|netdev|INFO|RTM_GETLINK failed (Invalid argument),
obtaining netdev stats via proc (you are probably running a pre-2.6.19
kernel)

I'm running OpenVZ's stable version, which is on the 2.6.18 kernel, but I
was not seeing this message when running Xen on the same machine.
Please let me know if it is worthwhile to try to get OpenvSwitch to work
normally on OpenVZ, and where would be a good place in the source code to
look for the source of the problems.

Thanks.

Eric Murray