[ovs-dev] OvS on OpenVZ

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Feb 2 13:57:32 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 04:48:06PM -0500, Eric Murray wrote:
> I'm experimenting with OpenvSwitch on OpenVZ. The OpenvSwitch homepage does
> not state whether or not OpenVZ is supported, but I figured I might as well
> ask and gain some perspective.
>
> I've noticed the bridge compatibility functionality does not work on OpenVZ,

Can you give any more details, e.g. what you tried, what you expected to
happen, and what actually happened?

What version of OVS are you testing?

> and also that the following error message occurs when an interface is
> added or removed from a datapath:
>
> Feb 02 16:23:40|00001|netdev|INFO|RTM_GETLINK failed (Invalid argument),
> obtaining netdev stats via proc (you are probably running a pre-2.6.19
> kernel)

That's not an error, it just means that you have an old kernel and so
the code is falling back to less-efficient means of obtaining some
statistics.  Perhaps we should disable or downgrade the message's
severity, since I'm pretty sure that it works.

> I'm running OpenVZ's stable version, which is on the 2.6.18 kernel, but I
> was not seeing this message when running Xen on the same machine.

Xen kernels have some backported functionality.  Perhaps this is part of
what has been backported.

> Please let me know if it is worthwhile to try to get OpenvSwitch to work
> normally on OpenVZ, and where would be a good place in the source code to
> look for the source of the problems.

Bridge compatibility is mainly in datapath/brc_*.c and
vswitchd/ovs-brcompatd.c.