[ovs-discuss] can't add peth0 to bridge eth0: Invalid argument

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Mon Dec 7 19:10:13 PST 2009

Earlier versions of Xen networking (which apparently the Lenny port is based
on) used some "interesting" tricks with renaming.  In this case eth0 is
renamed to peth0 and a bridge named tmpbridge is created then renamed to
eth0.

I'm fairly certain that our bridge compatibility layer does not deal well
with all of this renaming.  However, you should be able to configure this
manually after the machine has booted.  For example add the following to
your /etc/ovs-vswitchd.conf file and reload vswitchd:

bridge.eth1.port=eth1
bridge.eth1.port=peth1

You should then be able to assign an IP to eth1.

Jesse