[ovs-discuss] vswitchd ptcp option

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Oct 3 14:25:07 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 02:10:51PM -0700, Deepak Pillai wrote:
> The vswitchd documentation mentions the ptcp option so that the switch can
> listen on a port. But when I actually do the following:
>
> ovs-vswitchd tcp:127.0.0.1:6633 ptcp:6634 --pidfile --detach,

The argument to ovs-vswitchd is where ovsdb-server is listening.  It
doesn't have anything to do with OpenFlow configuration.  Use
"ovs-vsctl set-controller" to configure your OpenFlow controller.

> Also, when  i do an ovs-vswitchd --help, none of the listening options for
> vswitchd are displayed.

It says:

    usage: ovs-vswitchd [OPTIONS] [DATABASE]
    where DATABASE is a socket on which ovsdb-server is listening
	  (default: "unix:/home/blp/db/_build/db.sock").

Most of the time, you should just use the default.

> 1. How should the ptcp option mentioned in the documentation be used? I want
> to use this so that I can connect to the switch via ofctl from another
> machine.

ovs-vcstl set-controller <bridge> ptcp:

> 2. If vswitchd can be used with this option, how should ofctl connect to it.
> While using ofctl on the same machine, I just use ovs-ofctl show <path to
> br0.mgmt> (In use a teh unix socket for the same machine). From a remote
> host, I do: ovs-ofctl show tcp:>ip>:<port> . Is this correct?

Yes.