[ovs-discuss] help: OVS distributed support questions

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 22:14:58 PDT 2012

On 04/11/2012 06:31 AM, Kris zhang wrote:
> Thank you, Gary and Ben, and do you have any documents to guide me?

Sorry, at the moment there is not any documentation about the
integration. Hopefully in the near future. Here are some links that may
be helpful:

Quantum - http://wiki.openstack.org/Quantum
oVirt - http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Building_Ovirt_Engine
VDSM - http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Vdsm_Developers

The POC was done on Fedora 16. It made use of the latest oVirt and VDSM
source code. The Quantum packages were the latest F16 packages.
The Quantum service was running on the same host as the oVirt engine.
When a logical network is created and the network name has a prefix "Q_"
then a new Quantum network would be created. When a VM is created and a
virtual NIC is assigned to a "Q_" network then a Quantum port is
created. When the VM is started a interface attachment is created.
The Quantum agent is running on the VDSM host. The VDSM code was updated
to add the port to the ovs integration bridge (tap device,  mac address
and vm uuid). When the agent detects that the interface is up it will
add the relevant bindings.
Please note that a tag will be allocated by Quantum for the logical
network. This is not set by the user.

Thanks
Gary