[ovs-discuss] Correct way to build debian/ubuntu packages including openvswitch-pki?

Bob Lantz rlantz at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 9 16:58:40 PST 2012

I am trying to build the debian packages for OVS 1.4.0 on Ubuntu 11.10 (and other releases which don't necessarily have a pre-built openvswitch package available.)

If I use

fakeroot make -f debian/rules binary-arch

it builds openvswitch-{brcompat,common,controller,dbg,ipsec,switch}_1.4.0-1_amd64.deb

Unfortunately, openvswitch-controller requires the openvswitch-pki package, which mysteriously has not been built.

One mysterious thing I noted is that the build seems to automatically edit debian/control to remove openvswitch-pki, but the specification is still in debian/control.backup.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on the right way to do this?

[Perhaps it's as simple as installing a missing dependency, but it's puzzling since the regular build (mkdir build; cd build; ../configure ...; make all; sudo make install) correctly builds and installs ovs-controller and ovs-pki.]

Thanks for any assistance,

Bob