[ovs-discuss] Problems understanding ovs with of support

Luca Prete luca.prete at garr.it
Thu Feb 23 09:12:04 PST 2012

Goodmorning everybody,

I'm trying to do some researches on OF protocol, in particular trying to
use OVS.

This is what I've done until now:

- installed OVS 1.3 - kernel space with its module, on Ubuntu (kernel
2.6.28-8-server)
- created and initialized DB
- started server db
- ovs-vsctl add-br br0
- ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth1
- ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth2

I attached two hosts on ETH1 and ETH2 and, also without using a
controller acting as a L2 MAC-learning switch, they can ping one each other.

How can this be possible? I thought a switch needed the controller to
work properly as L2 MAC-switch ...

So, trying to understand what was wrong, I typed
- ovs-ofctl dump-tables br0
-ovs-ofctl dump-flows br0

...trying to find a rule that does this, but I didn't

Typing the first command I saw a table 0 called "classifier", the only
one automatically activated. I coudn't find on man pages what's that
for, can you please try to explain me?

How can i see, modify and delete rules of tables, and in particular of
that one? I can just find in ovs-ofctl man commands to add new rules...

Can I activate or deactivate manually a table (for example the
classifier one)??

I know there are lots of concepts and questions but I hope someone could
answer me...Thanks previously,

Luca Prete
preteluca at gmail.com