[ovs-discuss] Unexpected flow entry expiration

Ken Ajiro ajiro at mxw.nes.nec.co.jp
Mon Feb 27 21:25:34 PST 2012

 Hello,

 I'm evaluating OVS 1.2.2.
 I'd like to report an unexpected behavior of OVS.

 * What you did that make the problem appear?

  1. I made following bridge.

---------
7cc01e14-0746-4e48-bcf0-e5c951e0f250
    Bridge "br0"
        fail_mode: secure
        Port "veth1"
            Interface "veth1"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal
    ovs_version: "1.2.2"
---------

   2. I added 7,000 flow entries to switch by ovs-ofctl.
      Each entries have different MAC source addresses.
      Entry's idle_timeout was set in 60 seconds.
      hard_timeout is 0.

   3. I sent frames to bridge continuously. Frames' MAC source
      address was incremented in every sending for matching
      to each entries.

   4. Although n_packets of entries were incremented,
      after 60 seconds, all flow entries were expired.
      I attached log of ovs-ofctl dump-flows (showflow.log).

 * What you expected to happen?

   Flow entries should not be expired.

 * What actually happened.

   All flow entries are expired.

 * The Open vSwitch version number (as output by "ovs-vswitchd
    --version").

---------
# /usr/local/sbin/ovs-vswitchd --version
ovs-vswitchd (Open vSwitch) 1.2.2
Compiled Jan 20 2012 22:56:20
OpenFlow versions 0x1:0x1
---------

 * The Git commit number (as output by "git rev-parse HEAD"),
   if you built from a Git snapshot.

   Not from git.

 * Any local patches or changes you have applied (if any).

   No patches are applied.

 * The kernel version on which Open vSwitch is running (from
   /proc/version) and the distribution and version number of
   your OS (e.g. "Centos 5.0").

   Distribution is SLES11 SP1.
   kernel is:
   Linux version 2.6.32.12-0.7-default (geeko at buildhost) (gcc version 4.3.4 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 152973] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP 2010-05-20 11:14:20 +0200

 * The contents of the vswitchd configuration database (usually
   /etc/openvswitch/conf.db).

   I attached conf.db.

 * The output of "ovs-dpctl show".

   I attached ovs-dpctl-show.log.

 * If you have Open vSwitch configured to connect to an
   OpenFlow controller, the output of "ovs-ofctl show <bridge>"
   for each <bridge> configured in the vswitchd configuration
   database.

   No OpenFlow controller was set.

 * A fix or workaround, if you have one.

   I was not able to find any workarounds.

 * Any other information that you think might be relevant.

   I'm guessing that flow entry statistics are not updated
   at update_stats() @ ofproto-dpif.c when many statistics
   are updated at same time.
   I looked return value of odp_flow_cmd_fill_info() @ datapath.c
   when running this test. It was failed in EMSGSIZE error.
   I'm thinking that large statistics information should
   be split into suitable size of netlink messages.

  Thanks,

--
Ken Ajiro