[ovs-discuss] OVS disconnecting from controller when under heavy load.

junaid khalid junaid.khalid at seecs.nust.edu.pk
Thu Mar 15 10:55:35 PDT 2012

Hi

I was running OVS (ovs-1.1.2 in kernel mode, on a core i7 machine with 4GB
of RAM) under several Gbps of load. I noticed some unexpected behavior; OVS
would disconnect from Controller (NOX 0.9 zaku) under heavy load conditions
and re-establish the connection when the load was reduced (the behavior did
not have a particular pattern but seemed to become rare for under 2Gbps).
The reason for the disconnection was a lack of echo-request/reply packets
being exchanged between the controller and ovs.
Each time the experiment was run, ovs had about 10k flows in its flow table
(added pro-actively) and the controller was not being invoked for packet-in
events (all the relevant flows had already been written). I was unable to
find any relevant posts on the mailing lists regarding similar issue
(controller disconnecting when ovs is under gigabits per second of
traffic). I have no idea what could be causing this behavior, and hope that
someone can enlighten me.

Regards,
junaid