[ovs-discuss] [RFC] PVLAN user interface proposal

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed Mar 21 11:08:55 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 06:36:49PM +0100, Benoît Canet wrote:
> I am working to implement RFC 5517 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5517) in
> Open vSwitch.
> This mechanism enforce a few packets switching rules while reusing regular
> 802.1Q vlan tagging.
>
> My first approach will be to reuse as much as possible of the existing vlan
> code.
>
> However I will try hard to make the user interface changes the less
> disruptive they could be.
>
> Before starting to code here is a draft of the command line interface
> proposal.
>
> Could the developpers give their opinions on this interface ?

Paul Fazzone at Nicira passed along the following (he doesn't post to
the list regularly so he was nervous about jumping in directly):

    In the typical PVLAN implementation, the secondary vlan can include
    ports that are either isolated or community ports (community meaning
    that anyone in the same secondary vlan can talk to them).  The
    implementation below seems to be making that distinction per
    secondary vlan rather than per port.

Does it make sense to modify your proposal on that basis?  (I know very
little about PVLAN so I'm just passing stuff along, not making any
judgments at this point.)